Blueberry oat scones
Makes: 8 scones
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, chilled
- 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a small microwave safe bowl whisk together the flax meal and 3 tbsp water. Heat in microwave for 10 seconds. Remove from microwave and allow to cool. Once cooled add the vanilla extract and almond milk. Mix well and set aside.
- Place the oats in a food processor and pulse until mostly ground. Not finely, but until there are no whole oats left. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. Pulse a few more times until well combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is coarse and resembles sand.
- Dump the oat mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the orange zest and blueberries. Mix with a rubber spatula until everything is nicely incorporated.
- Add the flax mixture to the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix!
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into an 8-10 inch circle with lightly floured hands. Cut into 8 triangles. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with a little almond milk. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, in a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice and mix until well combined. Drizzle over the cooled scones.
*The original recipe first appeared on my vegan food blog.
[Sharing is caring*10