- 1 medium sized eggplant, peeled, diced
- 2 tbsp onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan (or you can use nutritional yeast)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ener-G Egg Replacer for 1 egg
- Combine the panko, parmesan, oregano, parsley, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until fine and well combined. Dump into a medium-large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet saute the onion for about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the eggplant and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or until eggplant is soft and gray in color. Allow to cool.
- Dump the eggplant mixture into food processor and process until smooth and sort of pasty. Add to breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the egg replacer and mix well. Form meatballs using a measured tablespoon (I use a small cookie scoop) and roll into balls.
- Place meatballs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper lightly sprayed with cooking spray. I sprayed the tops of the meatballs as well. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375° flipping half way through to ensure even browning.
Note: This recipe makes a little over 2 dozen meatballs and comfortably serves 4. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce with some pasta or on a roll. Also makes a great pizza topping!
*The original recipe first appeared on my vegan food blog.
[Sharing is caring*430